Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Double Knitting Love - Introduction

As promised in the Double Knitting group on Ravelry, here's the beginning of my Double Knitting Pictorial Tutorial.

In the Beginning
When I first embarked on my Sudoku project I thought about using nine different colors or nine different stitch patterns in place of the numbers. But as I started plotting my design I realized I was either going to have come up with a control pattern or color and that I would have to either knit two sides or somehow line the wrong side of my afghan. Neither of these options appealed to me. First I hate seaming and having to knit two whole afghans only to have to seam them together was out of the question. As for lining it, YUCK! I didn't see how that would look appealing and leaving it a one side afghan seemed like a cop out. I thought about double-knitting, which got me to thinking about a two-sided sudoku afghan with one side being the unsolved puzzle and the other side the finished puzzle.

Two Problems
  1. When you double knit an image on the right side the image on the wrong side is a mirror image.
  2. Even if I correct for the mirror image with the numbers I realized if you flip a Sudoku puzzle over, the layout of the puzzle is a mirror image of the puzzle itself.

Unsolved Puzzle



Solved Puzzle - The bold numbers are the ones
that need to be reversed in the pattern.


All the numbers are now where we need them, but the fun has only just begun. Tomorrow I'll show you how to go from these images to this one.


Reversible Number Six

1 comment: